Business Licenses

Who Must File:
  • Any individual, partnership or corporation engaged in any business, profession, or occupation in Warren County.
When to File:
  • License applications are due on or before March 1 each year to avoid penalty.
  • New businesses are required to have a license before beginning business.
Where to File:
Completed forms should be delivered to:
Warren County Commissioner of the Revenue
220 North Commerce Avenue
Suite 900
Front Royal, Virginia 22630
They may also be mailed to:
PO Box 1775
Front Royal, Virginia 22630-0038
The Warren County business license is based on a statement of the gross receipts or income, calculated on a cash or accrual basis, whichever method is employed for Federal or State tax purposes. The term “Gross Receipts” shall include the gross receipts from all sales or services rendered or activities conducted both by persons within the county and by persons outside the county provided, however, that the term “Gross Receipts” should not include dues collected by trade, business, professional services, or civic association. You may exclude any sales, excise or gasoline tax levied by Federal or State government.
Special Notice: All contractors doing business in Warren County are required to have a County license. Exception: If situs is in another county or town, including Front Royal, in the state of Virginia and your hometown or county licenses you, you are not required to have a Warren County license unless gross receipts exceed $25,000.  For all other contracts that are done outside of Warren County, please bring copies of all business licenses purchased the previous year, if any.
Town Business - New for 2011
No license is required from the County of Warren beginning January 1, 2011 except in the case of a contractor.  (See Special Notice Above)
License Fees & Rates
Code Section License Category Flat Rate
Section 117 Peddlers/Itinerant Merchants $500.00
Section 117-30 Perishable/Fireworks $250.00
Section 117-31.a Up to $4,000 No Fee
Section 117-32.b $4,001 - $10,000 $10.00
Section 117-32.c $10,001 - $25,000 $30.00
Section 117-32.d $25,001 - $50,000 $50.00
Section 117-32.e $50,001 and up Gross Receipts
See Below
  $50,000 and Over Gross Receipts, Rates Below:  
Section 117-33 Repair, Personal, Business & other $0.27
Section 117-34 Contractors $0.13
Section 117-35 Heat, Light and Power Companies $0.50
Section 117-36 Telephone and Telegraph Corporations $0.50
Section 117-38 Financial, Real Estate, Professional $0.41
Section 117-39 Retail Merchant $0.16
Section 117-40 Wholesale Merchants $0.05
Fictitious Name
If a business is operated under a fictitious, trade or assumed name, a fictitious, trade or assumed name form must be filed with the Clerk of the Circuit Court before a license can be issued according to the Code of Virginia, § 59.1-69. ($10.00 onetime charge)
All corporations conducting business in Virginia must register with the State Corporation Commission P. O. Box 1197 Richmond, VA 23209 (804) 371-9672. Forms and information available:  Virginia Registered Agent (804) 371-9733
Department of Health
Before the Commissioner of the Revenue can issue a food establishment license, the Health Department must be contacted to obtain a health permit. For information, please contact:
Warren County Health Department
465 W. 15th Street
Front Royal, Virginia 22630
Telephone: (540) 635-3159
Alcoholic Beverage License
The Alcoholic Beverage Control Board exercises control over the importation manufacture, possession and sale of alcoholic beverages. For more information, please contact:
Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
Special Agent: Stephen Jones
460 Commerce Square
Staunton, VA 24401
Telephone: (540) 332-7800
Fax: (540) 332-7814
Certificate of Zoning
Prior to issuance of any license, a request for a Certificate of Zoning must be obtained. Application is to be made with the Zoning Administrator who will verify the proposed use with the zoning ordinance. If it is in compliance, the Zoning Administrator will issue a Certificate of Zoning for a $15.00 fee.
County Residents
Warren County Government Center
Zoning Administrator
220 North Commerce Avenue
Suite 400
Front Royal, Virginia 22630
Telephone: (540) 636-3354
Town Residents
Town of Front Royal
Zoning Administrator
102 East Main Street
Front Royal, Virginia 22630
Telephone: (540) 635-4236
Sales/Use Tax, Corporation Income Tax, and Employees Income Tax Withholding
Virginia Department of Taxation:
Forms Available Online
2017 Contractors Certificate of Insuring Liability for Worker's Compensation:
FORM 61A Insert: Instructions for filing the form online
FORM 61A - Please complete online by visiting
Experiencing problems completeing your FORM 61A online?  Please review the Online Guidance for FORM 61A
  • The Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission recommends Google Chrome for best results or any other modern web browsers with HTML5 and CSS3 compatibility
  • NOTE: If you do not have a computer to complete the workers compensation form online, then you may come to the Commissioner of the Revenue’s office and use a computer to complete this form and print your certificate. If you still choose to complete the paper form below, then please mail it to the address shown on the form and then you will need to wait approximately 2 weeks for the certificate to be mailed to you before you can renew your Warren County Business License.
  • This form must be completed annually before the license is issued to all contractors. (updated 03/2014)
  • Public Notice: Civil Penalty for Employer's Failure to Provide Workers' Compensation Coverage (effective July 1, 2014)


  info (@)
  220 N. Commerce Avenue
     Front Royal, VA 22630

Keep in Touch


WC Seal braid trans

Established in 1836